Thursday 23 June 2011

Concert Review: Kings of Leon

On Sunday, with itching anticipation, I got to witness the event of the year I have been patiently awaiting since I bought tickets last November...Kings of Leon at Lancashire County Cricket Club! After rumours were rife that the last tour they performed would be their last ever, I was epically pleased when they released latest album Come Around Sundown and announced dates for this tour. With the threat that they may never perform live again, I would have sold my favourite arm to bag tickets (we all have a favourite arm, right?!). And I got them, without having to sell said limbs!

The whole day was fantastic. Unlike gigs I have been to in the past, the venue opened at 4pm and support acts commenced from 6pm, meaning that we had a full afternoon and evening of entertainment and to bask in the sunshine of the grounds. What glorious weather we had! First up was a band called Mona. I hadn’t heard of them before, but after watching them play the only way I can describe them is as ‘Kings of Leon wannabes’...not that that’s necessarily a bad thing. Next up was White Lies, which I was really pleased about, but missed all but the first song of the set due to a 40 minute wait for the toilet queue. Angry face. When I returned, it was Zane Lowe on stage doing a DJ set, which I thought would be promising, but instead turned out to appeal to the army of chavs at the concert. You know, the ones who recognise that one song Sex on Fire and think they’re die-hard fans. If you played them my favourite track Milk I’m sure they’d have a seizure. So to be honest, was not impressed with Zane Lowe!

Finally, the band we had all been waiting for graced the stage at 8:30pm, and I was more excited than a kid with a cardboard box. They belted out tunes Molly’s Chambers, Radioactive, Crawl, Be Somebody, Closer, Fans, Use Somebody, and many other favourites. I nearly died when they played On Call – my chest aches with how much I love that song. While the band did not have much banter with the crowd, it did allow them more time to play songs and every performance was flawlessly executed. Every time I saw Caleb’s little face pop up on the big screen I fell ever more in love. If I could’ve swapped my cat for a cheeky wink off him I SO WOULD.



Kings of Leon came back on stage for an encore, and rounded off the evening perfectly with roars from the crowd as loud as the fireworks that accompanied their last performance. Best £52.50 I ever did spend!

No comments:

Post a Comment